To turn an old wooden planter into a gorgeous piece of Shabby Chic design, try these simple instructions:
1. Roughly sand down the planter with sandpaper and paint on a base coat of your favourite colour – this will be your main shade. Leave the planter to dry for at least a couple of hours, preferably somewhere warm such as an airing cupboard or outdoors.
2. When the planter is dry you need to paint a second colour of paint over the top. This will be an accent colour and may need a couple of coats so make sure it dries thoroughly between coats.
3. When completely dry you need to take some more sandpaper and gently go over the whole frame, exposing the main paint colour below the top coat. Go over corners and areas where you want to add more detail in a harder stroke so that in these sections more colour will be exposed. Dust off any excess paint shavings.
4. Once you are happy with the effect you can add any embellishments that you like to add detail. Small pieces of fabric tied onto the handles look great or even dried flowers and beads glued on can look fabulous.
5. When you are completely happy with the overall design, apply a clear coat of gloss or varnish over the top to seal everything and protect it from damage. Any fabrics and ribbons should be added after this stage to finish it off.
And voila! A gorgeous piece of shabby chic for your home or garden.